Castlemaine Galleries and Museums Directory
Be the first to advertise in Castlemaine Galleries and Museums Directory!
We are developing castlemaine.city for you and early supporters can secure top of category and page one spots! If you would like to create a listing in Castlemaine for your Business or Community Group first Create an Account
Replace this Ad with your content, Your listing updates this entire page!
View an example. Consider what Category might you list in? Do we have it?
Do you like the Galleries and Museums in Castlemaine?
Castlemaine Galleries and Museums
If you're a lover of arts and history, you're in for a treat when visiting Castlemaine. The city provides a wealth of galleries, museums, and historical venues that are open for locals and tourists alike to enjoy.
Here are some of the places to include in your itinerary when you're in Castlemaine:
1. Castlemaine Art Museum - The Castlemaine Art Museum is a highly esteemed regional museum that showcases some of Australia's most renowned arts and crafts. The museum is complete with a broad collection of Australian art, dating back from the pre-colonial period to present-day contemporary art. The art collection is housed in two buildings located along Lyttleton Street.
2. The Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka (M.A.D.E) - This museum is located in the vicinity of the Eureka Stockade that occurred in 1854. The museum honors the sacrifices and heroic efforts of the diggers during the rebellion. Through displays and artifacts, the museum takes visitors on a journey through the Eureka Stockade rebellion.
3. Buda Historic Home and Garden - If you're looking to immerse yourself in the rich history of Castlemaine, you should visit the Buda Historic Home and Garden. The venue is an historical home, a museum, and a versatile garden that showcases the life and times of the Hardy family, who lived on the property for over five decades. The venue allows visitors to enjoy the rotating exhibitions that are displayed throughout the year.
4. The Castlemaine Historical Society Museum - If you're keen on learning more about the city's heritage, head to the Castlemaine Historical Society Museum; it will deliver a memorable experience. The museum displays the rich collection of historical artifacts that tell the story of the town's colonial past and the personal lives of the people that lived here.
5. La Trobe's Cottage - Located on the outskirts of Castlemaine, La Trobe's Cottage is one of the oldest buildings in Victoria and is a National Trust site. The house was built in 1839 by the first Governor of Victoria, Charles La Trobe. The building is an insightful historical site that gives visitors a look at the lives and times of the La Trobe family.
6. The Old Castlemaine Gaol - The Old Castlemaine Gaol is another historical site that you should visit while in town. The Gaol is a massive bluestone complex that operated as a prison for over 130 years, housing some of Victoria's most infamous prisoners. Visitors can explore the cells and courtyard to appreciate what life was like for prisoners in the gaol.
7. Lot 19 Art Gallery and Sculpture Park - Located on the Old Calder Highway, Lot 19 Art Gallery and Sculpture Park is an interesting art complex to visit. The venue is home to artist studios, muddy workshops, gallery spaces, and a generous sculpture park setting. The venue conducts a range of creative and art-related programs that cater to youth, adults, and artists.
8. The Phee Broadway Theatre and Creative Centre - Operating as a community-run theatre, the Phee Broadway Theatre and Creative Centre provides performing arts programs and space for the community. The venue's unique programs are designed for all age groups, inclining drama, music, dance, and film.
9. The Castlemaine Market - Friday is the market day in Castlemaine, and it's one of the best places to chat with locals, purchase fresh produce, arts, and crafts, and experience the town's community spirit.
Castlemaine offers a diverse range of galleries, museums, and historical venues that pay homage to the town's vibrant history, its artistic creativity and community spirit. Visiting these venues will leave you enamored with Castlemaine and its fascinating history.
Castlemaine Galleries and Museums Articles